Monday, August 26, 2013

Ballroom Dancing

We found it on Google Earth as soon as we got the email.  It amazes me that such a small road has been mapped, photographed even, and is accessible to anyone in the world.  How is it possible that I was able to type in an address for a plot in Lusaka, Zambia and look at it from my living room in Washington, DC? 

However surprising it seemed, Matt and I were able to see our neighborhood before either of us ever set foot in this country.  We knew that we had a three bedroom house with a yard and a pool.  We had seen a few pictures of the house, empty between residents.  We were thrilled!   

Apparently the house is in the British colonial style: single story with long, dark rooms, a sizable kitchen complete with breakfast nook, and a laundry room the size of our last apartment.  Our living room is nice but oddly shaped.  We have a beautiful stone fireplace in the center that divides a sitting area from the dining room.  And then there is room for another sitting area.  And then a third.  I am finding it difficult to imagine how I will arrange things once our household effects arrive but look forward to spending hours on Pinterest for ideas.  How many seating areas can one room have?   A woman who came in to measure for curtains suggested that I use the space for ballroom dance lessons.  She might be right; too bad I am not that kind of teacher. 

Compared to the rest of the house, the bedrooms are fairly small but are still larger than most I've had in my life.  There are two built in closets with a walk-in as well.  Is the house challenging me to acquire more clothing?  We’ll see.   

While I am very happy with the inside, I love the outside of the house best.  I spend most afternoons sitting under our metal awning on the stone veranda.  I read, drink coffee, and throw balls for the dog to chase.  It is a nice way to pass the time.  As he is infinitely more knowledgeable on the topic, I will leave it to Matt describe the vegetation and wildlife.


This is our third Monday in Lusaka and we are starting to fall in to routines.  This house feels more like home every day.  A gigantic, charming, home.

No comments:

Post a Comment